1lb Mini Potatoes (aprx 18)
1 TB White vinegar
1/2 Head of Cauliflower
5 Hard Boiled Eggs, peeled and chopped
4 (or more) Stalks of Celery, chopped
3 Green Onions, diced
3-4 slices of crispy bacon, crumbled
1/2 cup Avocado Oil Mayo
1/2 cup Full Fat Sour Cream
1 TB Yellow Mustard
1 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Paprika, for garnish
1) Potatoes: In a large pot of boiling water, cook the potatoes whole in their jackets until they are fork tender but not mushy (10-12 min). Drain and allow to cool slightly before slicing in halves or quarters. Spread in a single layer in a large dish and sprinkle evenly with the white vinegar. Put them in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. See note below.
2) Cauliflower: Chop the florets into bite size pieces. Using a double boiler, steam the cauliflower until it is just slightly tender. Do not overcook! Drain on a towel and allow to cool.
3) In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients mayo, sour cream, mustard, celery seeds, salt, and pepper
4) in a large bowl, combine the cold potatoes, cauliflower, chopped hard boiled eggs, diced celery, green onions, and crumbled bacon. Gently toss with the dressing and sprinkle with paprika. Enjoy!
Other flavor variations
- Tangy crunch: add sliced radishes and use red onions instead of green onions
- Zesty Dill: Sprinkle the cooked potatoes with dill pickle juice and add chopped dill pickles, capers, and/or chopped fresh dill to the mix.
- do you have other ideas? Comment below!
How can you eat potatoes on a ketogenic diet???
A ketogenic diet is not what a lot of people think it is, especially for an active person at a stable body weight. 1lb of mini potatoes adds approximately 53g of carbohydrate to this recipe or about 4.5g per serving (12 servings), which is a perfectly fine amount for a Keto Athlete.
Resistant Starch: In addition to the already small portion of carbs, cooking and cooling the potatoes first turns some of that carbohydrate into resistant starch, which is indigestible to you. Instead of being absorbed into your blood stream, the resistant starch is digested by your gut bacteria that turn it into a Short Chain Fatty Acid called butyrate (molecularly similar to the Ketone Body BetaHydroxy Butyrate). For more on this, check out my video on the Resistant Starch Experiment with a continuous glucose monitor. For an even lower carb option, leave out the potatoes entirely and use a whole head of cauliflower.
Bulk: I'm adding bulk to this salad with low-carb veggies like cauliflower and celery, which allows for a satisfying portion without tons of potatoes.
Animal Protein: I added extra protein with the hardboiled eggs and bacon. Protein is the nutrient of satiety, helping you feel full faster. You could even add chopped roasted chicken and make this a whole meal in a bowl.
The Right Fats: I've avoided all vegetable oils by replacing regular mayo with avocado oil mayo (a monounsaturated fat rather than an n-6 PUFA). Using a 1-to-1 ratio of full fat sour cream also adds healthy, clean burning saturated fat, which further slows digestion and increases satiety.